Feel like an imposter?

There's actually a "thing" called "impostor syndrome". The term was coined in 1978 and is described as a feeling of "phoniness in people who believe they are not intelligent, capable, or creative - despite evidence of achievement." Basically they feel like frauds despite evidence of success.

Here are some things you can do to battle impostor syndrome:
  • Start by acknowledging it.
    • Recognize and acknowledge these feeling when they emerge. Once you know what it feels like, you'll have an easier time overcoming it.
  • Change your mental programming.
    • Realize that what you're feeling isn't founded on anything real.
    • Feelings of inadequacy are in your head.
    • Instead of thinking, "I don't know how to do this.", why not tell yourself, "I'm still learning, but I'll figure it out."
  • Realize you aren't perfect.
    • NO ONE IS! (Neither am I apparently, no matter how many times I tell my wife I am.)
    • If you wait for your ideas to be "perfect", nothing will ever get done!
  • Take note of your achievements.
    • You may NOT be perfect, but I'd be willing to bet you're good (if not great) at a lot of things.
    • Make a list of your strengths.
    • Make a list of areas you want to improve on and then focus on developing those areas.
  • Remember, you aren't alone.
    • You aren't the only person suffering from this. Find a mentor or someone else you can talk to about this.
    • Even the most confident people you see in leadership positions suffer from impostor syndrome to some degree. If not, they're probably suffering from the Dunning-Kruger effect. This is where people with low ability have the illusion they are superior to everyone around them!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10-80-10 Principle

The 4 D's of Time Management

10 Leadership Lessons From Hal Moore